[HTCondor-users] Training new cluster SysAdmins

To those who maintain infrastructure,

What materials do you use to train new members of staff on your team?

I understand if folks spend money on RedHat or LPI training sessions & exams. What I am interested in are the things that make working in research computing different than standard enterprise server farm.

Academic IT departments, including my own, regularly bemoan the difficulty in finding experienced folks to fill infrastructure roles, which puts the onus on staff to train new hires. But who has time to pair program with a new hire when your team is understaffed? I just figure that having some clear training materials we could all share would allow new members to get up to speed more easily and enjoy doing fun stuff rather than banging their head against a wall because some novel configuration was never explained in the docs of some outdated toolset.

If there is a paucity of onboarding materials, does anyone think there might be a way to get some grant funding to write up some materials.

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matthew T. West