From: "John M Knoeller" <johnkn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "htcondor-users" <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Malathi Deenadayalan" <malathi@xxxxxxxx>, "htcondor-admin" <htcondor-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2023 9:34:47 PM
Subject: Re: JOB_TRANSFORM and JOB_ROUTER

The JOB_TRANSFORM_* configuration in the AP/Schedd allows the administrator to change jobs as they are submitted.    This provides a way for the admin to enforce policy and provide default behavior.  the untransformed job is lost and only the transformed job ends up in the schedd.

The JOB_ROUTER is a daemon that copies jobs from one schedd and submits transformed copies of those jobs back into the same schedd or to another schedd.   The original job is not lost, instead it is marked as "managed".  As the transformed/routed job runs, state changes to the transformed copy are reflected back to the original job.  when the transformed copy completes, the original job is marked as completed.

These two mechanisms use the same transform syntax, but they solve different problems.

Hope this helps.
-tj