Re: [HTCondor-users] RPMs vs curl get.condor.org vs tarball

Hello,

The tarballs are generally used to personal condors (one that an unprivileged user run within their home directory). The tarballs contain all the dependencies that are not on a typical Red Hat system.

The packaged versions are generally used by system administrators. They include integration with the system (systemd files, automatically setup the appropriate log directories etc.).

It is highly recommended to use the packaged versions if you are the system administrator.

The gethtcondor shell script could be run on a machine that has access to the internet and you could observe which packages are downloaded. You could them compare this list of package with the output of 'rpm -q' on your Red Hat system to see what packages are needed. You could then download them and their public keys and set up your own locker repository.

One could set up a system using the tarball as root. However, we don't even document how to do this.

By default, the gethtcondor shell script, does a dry run, so that you can observe the steps that it takes.

There are several articles on the internet on how to setup local repositories for air-gapped systems.

I hope you find this helpful. Feel free to ask further questions.

...Tim