Re: [HTCondor-users] serial jobs in parallel universe

Hi Greg,

scheduled (by default) in a pure FIFO way.

with by default does it mean it is somehow possible to implement a fair share on the parallel universe?

parallel universe also needs dedicated nodes. Can vanilla universe jobs run there can the parallel universe jobs run spill out?

Incidentally isn't this also a dask setup? I've been wondering for months if dask needs a parallel universe queue or if it can run on a vanilla one (not the case here, but it might be useful to understand this case). Of course if everything mimicks the standard wlcg 8 multicore jobs there is no question but I thought dask could grow to multiple machines.

On Fri, 15 Sept 2023 at 19:59, Greg Thain via HTCondor-users <htcondor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/14/23 07:10, Alessandra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has setup only a parallel universe also
> to run serial jobs. My assumption is that if machine_count=1 and
> cpu_count=1 (or N for multicore jobs) it should work like the vanilla
> universe but without the headache to have dedicated machines or
> clashing shares between different universes when true parallel jobs
> are submitted.
>
> Is this correct? Or are these naive assumptions?

Hi Alessandra:

This will work, but you there is no free lunch. You will lose
fair-share scheduling, as all parallel universe jobs are scheduled (by
default) in a pure FIFO way.

-greg