[HTCondor-users] Submit transaction timeout

Hi,

When using the Python API to submit a large number of jobs (10’s of thousands), we encounter the following error:

    RuntimeError: Failed to commit and disconnect from queue.

We use the following code to submit jobs in chunks:

    max_jobs_per_sub = htcondor.param['MAX_JOBS_PER_SUBMISSION']

    for itemdata_chunk in common.utils.iter_data_chunks(itemdata, max_jobs_per_sub):

        with schedd.transaction() as txn:

            submit.queue_with_itemdata(txn, 1, iter(itemdata_chunk))

If we use a smaller chunk size (say 5,000 rather than the default 20,000), we still encounter the error once a certain number of jobs have been submitted (usually around 30-50k).

Looking at the logs and based on this message thread it would seem that we’re hitting the schedd’s 20 second transaction timeout. Is there any way of increasing or avoiding this timeout?

The pool and central manager all run on Windows.

Kind regards,

Peet Whittaker

Discipline Lead for DevOps | Principal Software Developer

JBA Consulting, 1 Broughton Park, Old Lane North, Broughton, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 3FD. Telephone: +441756699500

Visit our new website at  www.jbaconsulting.com.

This email is covered by the JBA Consulting email disclaimer
JBA Consulting is a trading name of Jeremy Benn Associates Limited, registered in England, company number 03246693, 1 Broughton Park, Old Lane North, Broughton, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 3FD.

JBA CONSULTING