[condor-users] Questions about resource allocation and user priorites...

Hi.  I've been running Condor 6.6.0 for a couple of months now, and I'm
curious about how to more effectively control resource allocation among
users.

If a user submits a dagman job, it will be correctly distributed across our
machines (cuurenly 11 of them).  However, if a second user then also
submits a dagman job, that user will not get ANY resources until all of
the first users jobs have been completed.  Both of the users have the same
priority factor (1.0).  The second user has an Effective Priority of 0.5,
while the first user's Effecive Priority is 11.0 (or 1.0 times the number
of machines).  Why don't any of the machines get allocated to the other
user over time as some of the jobs in the first user's dag finish?

As an experiment, I've set the PRIORITY_HALFLIFE to just 5 seconds, so a
user's Real Priority reflects only the resources they are currently using
(more or less).  This doesn't seem to have affected the behavior in the
slightest.

I also tried fiddling with some of the PREEMPTION values.  However, this
isn't really what we want.  All of our jobs are in the Vanilla universe,
so we definitely do NOT want to just kill jobs that have run for a while.
We don't really want the instant resources that PREEMPTION provides, just
to have the resources equalize across users over time as jobs finish.

Any idea what I'm missing here?  Thanks for any insight you can provide.

-Mike
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Condor Support Information: