Please read: Reboot of all CHTC servers to fix security vulnerability

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 15:04:53 -0500
From: chtc-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Please read: Reboot of all CHTC servers to fix security vulnerability
Greetings CHTC Users,

A Linux security vulnerability has become apparent and will require a fullÂrebootÂofÂallÂCHTC servers ASAP.ÂWe will startÂrebootingÂservers in our HTC System and HPC Cluster tomorrow (October 10), as described below.

For the HTC System:
  • We've already begun draining execute servers, which means that most new jobs will not start running until after the reboots.
  • Starting tomorrow morning, execute servers will beÂrebootedÂon a rolling basis over the course of 24 hours.
  • Already-running jobs that have not completed by the time an execute server isÂrebootedÂwill beÂevicted, which means that HTCondor will interrupt the jobs, but keep them in the queue (back in idle state) to run again.
  • Submit servers will be briefly unavailable (less than 1 hour) when they're individuallyÂrebooted sometime tomorrowÂ(including group-owned submit servers).
For the HPC Cluster:
  • Starting tomorrow, execute servers will be graduallyÂrebooted, onlyÂas running jobs complete.
  • New jobs will take longer than usual to start running (for the next week); however, already-running jobs will not be interrupted for the reboots.
  • The head nodes will be briefly unavailable (less than 1 hour) when they are rebooted sometime tomorrow or the next day.

We thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to keep our compute systems secure for all users. As always, please send any questions toÂchtc@xxxxxxxxxxx, rather than replying to this email.

Best,
Your CHTC Team (chtc@xxxxxxxxxxx)