Re: [classad-users] ClassAds and High performance computing

Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:19:08 +0530
From: "Imran Shaik" <imran.sk@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] ClassAds and High performance computing

Hi,
Thanks for your prompt reply. That helps.

The executables including classads library are very heavy. Even a simple program comes around 4 to 5MB.
Is there no way to reduce it by including only the header files needed? Do i need to include "classads_distribution.h" all the time for every simple program, cant i selectively include? Is it really the library heavy or does it needs more memory for storage purposes ?

Another, question...is ClassAds library thread safe? Can multiple threads make calls to the library concurrently?

Thanks,
Imran

On 5/26/06, Alain Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
At 01:37 PM 5/25/2006 -0700, Imran Shaik wrote:
>Hi,
>Are ClassAds suitable for high performance computing?
>Are there any inherent problems in ClassAds that are not suitable
>for high performance computing environments? (High performance
>clusters, grids).
>ClassAds are suitable for Condor systems?(High throuhput)
>May be this is a silly question.Pls let me know.

It depends where you use them. I wouldn't use them as-is in the Linux
kernel or in embedded software development. They are used in Condor
where they keep track of Condor pools with several thousand nodes.
They're not very well optimized, but we normally use them in places
where tight optimization doesn't matter.

-alain

Condor Classads Info:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/classad/

--