Re: [classad-users] swig broken in classad 0.9.8

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:25:11 -0700
From: Alain Roy <roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [classad-users] swig broken in classad 0.9.8

1. I undefed Copy right away in the ClassAd code, so the definition from
perl isn't seen. Nate thinks he did this as well at one point, but wasn't
what did in the end (but he's not sure what he did in the end either)

2. I renamed all occourances of Copy() in classads to deepcopy().

On first blush, I agreed that solution #2 was preferable. It has a difficult disadvantage though: it breaks backwards compatibility, and I'm 90% certain it will break code used by collaborators. Grrr...

I'll look into this more carefully when I have a chance.

There's also a minor bug in ClassAd::Simple code that cases
the test suite to fail - in evalaute_expr, it's got:

if (ref($expr))
    {
    ($value) = $this->evaluate_expr_expr($expr->copy);
    }

but it only works if it's

if (ref($expr))
    {
    ($value) = $this->evaluate_expr_expr($expr);
    }

I haven't looked at this code (and I'm offline right now) but this looks like a serious bug, not a minor one: a copy should be evaluated just as successfully. Or am I misunderstanding the code?

-alain