Re: [Condor-users] IP resolution problem: /etc/hosts contains 127.0.1.1

David Brodbeck wrote:

On Aug 10, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Kurt De Grave wrote:
It may be an error in some sense, but it seems to be the default configuration in recent Debian and Ubuntu versions.

Yeah, it is, and I can't fathom why. I had to change it to get Condor to work on one Debian machine I was playing with. I'm sure they have their reasons, but to me it just seems broken.

Likewise, Red Hat by default puts the hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line, which also breaks Condor.

Editing /etc/hosts seems like the right way to fix it. I think the only alternative would be a Condor option to force binding to a specific interface or IP, instead of relying on the hostname.

NETWORK_INTERFACE = <ip address>

The only reason this doesn't break more software is most daemons bind to 0.0.0.0, so they listen on *all* interfaces, regardless of how the hosts file is set up.

BIND_ALL_INTERFACES = True

I personally would like the above to be true by default. I'd be curious to know if this would have solved your problem without any changes to the system configuration. My guess is that it would.

--Dan