Re: [DynInst_API:] upcoming releases and potential API changes

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 12:50:30 -0700
From: Josh Stone <jistone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [DynInst_API:] upcoming releases and potential API changes
On 10/07/2014 09:26 AM, Bill Williams wrote:
> Two things here:
>
> 1) Dyninst 8.2.1 is coming soon, pending evaluation of fixes for a
> couple more bugs that have been reported in 8.2.0.

Please do push commits before the actual release, so interested parties
like myself may review the changes. :)

> 2) We're looking at potential API-breaking changes that have been
> floating around our TODO list, [...]

No objections here.

> If anyone has nominations for other interfaces that should be
> changed/deprecated/deleted in our next major release, let us know.

I've been thinking about improving the selinux story -- right now we
must allow execmem/execstack because of the RWX memory maps.  I'd like
to try separating this into proper code (R-X) and data (RW-) maps for
inferior allocs.  The API appears to already allow requests to specify
what they need, but I worry a little that someone might be lazily making
requests under the assumption that they'll get RWX.  Thoughts?