[DynInst_API:] New Dyninst point release (8.2.1)

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:28:03 -0500
From: Barton Miller <bart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DynInst_API:] New Dyninst point release (8.2.1)
  ================================
             ANNOUNCEMENT
         Dyninst 8.2.1 Release
         ParseAPI 8.2.1 Release
         SymtabAPI 8.2.1 Release
         InstructionAPI 8.2.1 Release
         StackwalkerAPI 8.2.1 Release
         ProcControl 8.2.1 Release
         PatchAPI 8.2.1 Release
         DynC_API 8.2.1 Release
   ================================

We are pleased to announce a point release of Dyninst 8.2.1 and its
component tool kits. This release includes ParseAPI, SymtabAPI,
InstructionAPI, StackwalkerAPI,  ProcControl, PatchAPI, and DynC_API 8.2.

This release includes new usability features and efficiency improvements.
As with previous 8.x releases, we support Linux, Windows, IBM BG/Q, and Cray
systems. All released components are fully integrated with Dyninst.

KEY BUG FIXES:

* Fixes for assorted tail call parsing bugs, including incorrect handling of
  Windows incremental linking stubs.

* Fixes for assorted instruction decoding bugs related to sizes of operands.

* Fixes for graceful failure when we encounter bogus line information (for
  offsets outside of code regions).

* Fix for DWARF parsing: we now support location list base address selectors.

* Fix for XMM saves: don't exclude entry/exit/call points from liveness
  analysis and independent register saving code.

* Fix for CMake's FindLibIberty: consistent variables with other FindLibFoo
  packages.

* Fix to handle linux-gate and linux-vdso showing up in link maps.

IMPORTANT BUILD NOTES:

* Dyninst now builds with CMake, produces appropriate package information for
  other projects, and will automatically download libelf/libdwarf/binutils if
  it can't find them.

* RedHat users on Fedora 19 through 22 should simply update their Dyninst
  package with their package manager. While we provide direct links to the
  RPMs for those who are interested, RedHat strongly recommends "yum update"
  as your Dyninst upgrade mechanism.

* Visual Studio users should use CMake to generate NMake or VS project files
  for their actual systems. The VS project files provided are examples from
  our environment and should not be used to build.

* The Dyninst test suite is now in a separate repository from the Dyninst
  components. This is in line with how we have distributed Dyninst and its
  tests recently.

Note that all Dyninst code is open source, released under the GNU LGPL. And
thank you to Red Hat for hosting the Linux RPMs.

Dyninst official distributions are available from:
  http://www.paradyn.org/html/dyninst8.2-software.html
  http://www.dyninst.org/downloads/dyninst-8.x

or you can git checkout the v8.2.0.1 tag from:
  http://git.dyninst.org/dyninst.git

Dyninst 8.2.1 is also available as a standard part of RedHat distributions
and is making its way through their RPM publication process now.