Re: [Gems-users] Creating a new topology network

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:51:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bradford Beckmann <beckmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Creating a new topology network

> Now I want to check that the topology I have generated is a perfect shuffle
> topology. I have printed the "nodePairs" variable and everything seems right.
> However, I do not know if the content and format of the variable are right.
> Could anyone help me?

The network creation code in ruby is a very powerful, yet somewhat
confusing section of code.  All possible sources, destinations and
switches in the network have an associated number to them.  A node pair
indicates a direct link between two such entities.  The node list is hard
to parse directly because it is just a pair of integers.  I would use the
g_PRINT_TOPOLOGY to do some initial sanity checking to make sure all
entities are connected.  Then I would run a deterministic test with the
network 'n' flag set and make sure messages are being routed as you would
expect.

> In the ruby configuration, I put "g_PRINT_TOPOLOGY" to "true" and, when I get
> the results, I can see the topology but I do not know to interpret the
> notation of the topology print. I will be grateful if someone could explain
> it to me.

The topology print just prints a depth-first search of the network.  It is
hard to get a lot of general information from it.  I mostly use it just to
make sure everything is connected to the network that I expected.  Again,
trace through the network using the tester to make sure messages are being
sent has you intended.

> The last question is: Where can I change the switches sizes?

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  The switches are "perfect"
they have no predetermined size.

Brad