Re: [Gems-users] fast forwarding mode in Ruby/Opal

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:34:55 -0600
From: Alaa Alameldeen <alaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] fast forwarding mode in Ruby/Opal
If you just want to warm up the cache, you can use Ruby without Opal. This should give you significant speedup. Since for the most part we want the cache warmed up for all our runs. we save a warm-cache file for each of our workloads, and then load from it to start a new run.

To get a cache warmup file:
<...start from a checkpoint, do all required initialization...>
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
<....run simics for the amount of time you want...>
write-configuration <checkpoint_file_name>
ruby0.save-caches <cache_file_name>
quit

Now to use that warmup file:
read-configuration <checkpoint_file_name>
<...do all required initialization...>
load-module opal
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
opal0.init
ruby0.load-caches <cache_file_name>
<...run your simulation...>
<...print Ruby and/or Opal statistics...>
quit

I hope that helps.

-Alaa

Weihang Jiang wrote:
Hi,
  Is there a fast forwarding mode in Ruby and Opal? I want to warm up the cache.