[Gems-users] checkpoints with ruby

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:12:53 -0400
From: Christian Bienia <cbienia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] checkpoints with ruby
Hi,

I created a checkpoint of a benchmark with only ruby loaded (no opal).
However, when I quit Simics and try to read the configuration again, I
get the following error:

simics> read-configuration
../../checkpoints-u3/188.ammp/188.ammp-32-1b.ckp
cannot open file: ./modules/ruby-v9.so
Unexpected error when loading module 'ruby'

cannot open file: ./modules/ruby-v9.so
Unexpected error when loading module 'ruby'

Class ruby not found.
Error reading configuration file
Failed reading configuration
simics>

list-modules shows that ruby is there, and list-failed-modules doesn't
show any errors. The confusing thing is that I can load checkpoints
which I have created without ruby being loaded, and after that I can
load and use ruby normally.

To be a little bit more specific, I did exactly what Alaa explained in
his post on Feb 15 about "fast forwarding module in Ruby/Opal":

To get a cache warmup file:
<...start from a checkpoint, do all required initialization...>
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
<....run simics for the amount of time you want...>
write-configuration <checkpoint_file_name>
ruby0.save-caches <cache_file_name>
quit
Now to use that warmup file:
read-configuration <checkpoint_file_name>
<...do all required initialization...>
load-module opal
load-module ruby
ruby0.init
opal0.init
ruby0.load-caches <cache_file_name>
<...run your simulation...>
<...print Ruby and/or Opal statistics...>
quit

The error happens after "read-configuration <checkpoint_file_name>". Does anybody know how I can fix that?

Chris