Re: [Gems-users] Ruby Compile Error

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:25:19 -0600
From: Karin Strauss <kstrauss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby Compile Error
No.  Something else is wrong but I don't know what it is.  Maybe its
related to your version of Simics.

I do not think GEMS has been tested with Simics 2.2.x. We currently use
the 2.0.x series of Simics.

--Mike

Hi,

I am a newbie as well, and I actually have the same problem. I am pretty convinced that Mike is right. I have downloaded version 2.2.7 and version 2.0.28 and applied the quickstart procedure to both. I does not work with version 2.2.7.

Investigating it, I found that "SIM_hap_register_callback" is undeclared because its declaration is in simics/x86-linux/obj/include/simics/obsolete_api.h, enclosed in an ifdef that is not enabled by default. The condition of this ifdef looks like this:

if defined(SIMICS_1_4_API) || ... || defined(SIMICS_2_0_API) || defined(SHOW_OBSOLETE_API)
hap_handle_t SIM_hap_register_callback(...)
endif

To fix this problem, I have added -DSIMICS_2_0_API to SPECIAL_FLAGS in the ruby Makefile, and the compilation completes with a warning from simics (obsolete version is being used, or something like that). Could anybody tell me whether I am in the right track?

I did the same thing in the opal Makefile, but now I have a different error. The problem is that some mm_ functions are now deprecated in Simics, or are defined differently in simics/x86-linux/obj/include/simics/alloc.h than in opal/system/simdist12.C.

Here is a list of the mm_ functions for which I get errors: mm_new_group (deprecated), mm_malloc, mm_zalloc, mm_strdup, mm_realloc, mm_align (redefined).

Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,

Karin