Re: [Gems-users] Using Ruby without SIMICS

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 20:00:28 -0800
From: Osvaldo Colavin <ocolavin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Using Ruby without SIMICS
Is there a target in the makefile that enables the compilation of Ruby standalone, or perhaps with the testers (but not simics or opal)? Cheers,

Osvaldo

On 11/9/05, Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It should definitely be do-able with a modest amount of effort.

We already use Ruby as a standalone memory hierarchy when using the Tester
driver.  The main entry point is the Ruby sequencer
($GEMS/ruby/system/Sequencer.C) which acts as the processor interface.
Drivers issue requests to Ruby via Sequencer::makeRequest.  The Sequencer
calls hitCallback() on the drivers when the request has finished.

All the Simics/Ruby interface is in $GEMS/ruby/simics.  You can see where
the Sequencer::makeRequest() call is made in the SimicsProcessor.C

This is a quick response.  If you have more specific questions, do ask
them.

--Mike