Re: [Gems-users] [MOESI CMP TOKEN] Several Questions

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:14:41 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] [MOESI CMP TOKEN] Several Questions
Hello, Clay.

Let me answer your questions individually, below.

At 08:37 AM 11/30/2005 -0500, you wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've got several questions about the output from the Ruby module so I'll
just list them below.

-Is the L1 instruction cache assumed to be perfect?

If by "perfect" you mean zero-cycle latency, then yes. This is the default setting for Ruby. However, this can be turned off by editing the ruby/config/rubyconfig.defaults and setting REMOVE_SINGLE_CYCLE_DCACHE_FAST_PATH to true, and then selecting L1 parameters in the same file to suit your needs.

The L1 is *not* infinite in size.

-Is there a performance metric in the Ruby output?  One can't use number
of cycles or CPI when comparing different cache implementations because
the number of instructions is different and the ruby cycle time appears
to be a function of the simulation time.

Actually, the count of Ruby_cycles is the performance metric in Ruby. It is true that they are proportional to the simulation time, but simulation time (host execution time) is proportional to simulated time (target execution time).

-Why is the instruction count different if the simulation starts from
the same checkpoint and terminates at the same flag?  It is, of course,
the same if you run the same model repeatedly.  However, if the cache
size is changed from 1MB L2 to, say, 8MB L2 then the instruction count
changes.

Are you reporting a value from Simics or from Ruby? Ruby_cycles is the measure of simulated time required, so it will definitely change with changing cache parameters. If you're talking about Ruby_cycles, that is the explanation.

Also, are you simulating simulations multiprocessor or single processor systems?

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Regards,
Dan