Re: [Gems-users] Disk Image File

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:55:38 -0500
From: Alaa Alameldeen <alaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Disk Image File
Arrvindh,

There are some options that you can use:

- Some Linux versions can support files bigger than 2GB (e.g., can support the ext3 file system). You might want to switch to such systems.

- You should also compress your disk images by running the simics utility "craff", which should be in your simics binary directory. This makes your simulations run faster due to fewer disk I/Os even if you do not need it to make disk images smaller.

- You can also split your disk image into multiple disks by partitioning your disk on the real machine you are using to set up benchmarks.

-Alaa

arrvindh shriraman wrote:
I am running SIMICS on an X86 machine with Linux.
Since my file system is ext2fs I can't support single
disk images more than 2G.
If I want to simulate realistic machines with specJBB
and other benchmarks , I would need to create disk
images and checkpoints which are > 2G.
How can I do that ?

Arrvindh Shriraman
Conputer Science Department