[Gems-users] Error loading module 'ruby'

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:46:26 -0500
From: Chris Rossbach <rossbach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Error loading module 'ruby'
Hi-

I'm trying to get ruby to work in Simics 3.0.17

I believe I've followed the instructions, and I've come across an error that I
haven't seen discussed on the user-list: everything builds OK, but when I
start simics, (after setting SIMICS_EXTRA_LIB, reading a checkpoint, and
setting the instruction-fetch-mode, disabling the istc and dstc) I still get
the following error:

  simics> load-module ruby
  Error loading module 'ruby': Failed to load module
    'ruby' ('/d1/rossbach/gems/simics_3_workspace/x86-linux/lib/ruby.so'):
    "undefined symbol: ruby_session_set"

Even more strange, if I use nm to examine the contents of ruby.so:
rossbach@davis:/d1/rossbach/gems/simics/home/MOSI_SMP_bcast/lib$ ls
opal.so  python  ruby.so
rossbach@davis:/d1/rossbach/gems/simics/home/MOSI_SMP_bcast/lib$ nm ruby.so |
grep ruby_session_set
         U ruby_session_set
0014cf30 T _Z16ruby_session_setPvP11conf_objectP10attr_valueS3_

I take simics error message to indicate that it was actually able to find
ruby.so, but for some reason, it can't find ruby_session_set in the library?

Also below is the output of list-failed-modules, and a transcript of the
entire session that leads to the error.

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Chris Rossbach
rossbach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

simics> list-failed-modules
Current ABI version: 1348  Lowest supported: 1302
Name  Error                              | Name  Error
-----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
No module name in module           | ruby  undefined symbol: ruby_session_set

rossbach@davis:/d1/rossbach/gems/simics/home/MOSI_SMP_bcast$ ./simics -stall
Checking out a license... done: academic license.

  +----------------+    Copyright 1998-2006 by Virtutech, All Rights Reserved
  |   Virtutech    |    Version: Simics 3.0.17
  |     Simics     |    Build: 1348  Host: x86-linux
  +----------------+
    www.simics.com      "Virtutech" and "Simics" are trademarks of Virtutech
AB

Use of this software is subject to appropriate license.
Type 'copyright' for details on copyright.
Type 'help help' for info on the on-line documentation.

simics> read-configuration osgemslogin.conf
simics> instruction-fetch-mode instruction-fetch-trace
simics> istc-disable
Turning I-STC off and flushing old data
simics> dstc-disable
Turning D-STC off and flushing old data