[Gems-users] Running GEMS on Linux/SPARC target

Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:10:15 -0500
From: Shougata Ghosh <shougata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Running GEMS on Linux/SPARC target
Hi
Are there any issues with running GEMS with a Linux/Sparc target machine? I am simulating a 16-processor sparc machine in simics (using their bagle script) and was trying to run the transactional microbenchmark (tm-dequeue) that comes with GEMS. I loaded ruby module but not opal since I'm only concerned with the memory access patterns. I used the "MESI_SMP_LogTM_directory" cache protocol. I am giving a screenshot of the error I got:

simics> run-command-file file = setup_ruby.sh
Turning D-STC off and flushing old data
successful installation of the ruby timing model.
Ruby Timing Mode
Warning: optimizations not enabled.
Creating event queue...
Creating event queue done
Creating system...
 Processors: 16
Creating system done
Ruby initialization complete
simics> c
<****The following of course came after starting the tm-deque program****>
[cpu17] v:0x0000000000010bd8 p:0x0000000004f2ebd8 magic (sethi 0x40000, %g0)
Setting new inspection cpu: cpu17
simics> c
Exception in hap handler: Non-existent Register
Exception in hap handler
[cpu17] v:0x000000000001098c p:0x0000000004f2e98c magic (sethi 0x140000, %g0)
simics>

The first signs of problems is ofcourse cpu17. No idea where that came from with 16 processors! Before I investigate the problem any further, I wanted to figure out if there are any known issues with running transactional benchmarks using magic instructions with Linux/Sparc setup. I know it has been made to work with Solaris/Sparc setup. Does it not run on Linux/Sparc machines? Has anyone tried using magic instructions with Linux/Sparc setup? Any feedback will be really useful.
Thanks