Re: [Gems-users] Ruby module for x86

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:43:06 +0100
From: Nikolas Galanis <nikolaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Ruby module for x86
Thanks Dan, you're a life saver!

Deleting the modules.cache file worked perfectly.

Regards,
Nikolas

Dan Gibson wrote:
Hello!

I can think of one issue I have encountered in the past that you may have also run into here:

Delete your $GEMS/simics/[host]/lib/modules.cache file. [host] refers to the machine you are running Simcics+Gems on, and is probably either "x86-linux" or "amd64-linux". Simics caches its module list: Sometimes "suddenly adding" Ruby makes this cache inconsistent.

As for the name "ruby-v9.so", that name is actually generated in Ruby's Makefile. The name of the library isn't changed by the x86 patch, so even when running an x86-targeted simulation, the name of Ruby's library is still "ruby-v9.so".

Also, you may want to simply set your SIMICS_EXTRA_LIB variable simply to "./modules" rather than including the full path name, including the name of the protocol. Doing so will allow you to compile and use many different protocols without chaning SIMICS_EXTRA_LIB.

Regards,
Dan

Nikolas Galanis wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to start GEMS using the x86 patch but the ruby module is nowhere to be found. I am confident that I have done everything as explained in the guides (gems and x86-patch guides).

I am using Simics 2.2.17 and gcc 3.3.3. I have exported SIMICS_EXTRA_LIB=%GEMS/simics/home/MOSI_SMP_bcast/modules, and I have used x86 instead of v9 for the ruby entry at the modules list file.

After all this, the "list-modules" command in simics does not show any ruby module. Also, checking the MOSI_SMP_bcast/modules dir, I see a "ruby-v9.so" file. Shouldn't it be "ruby-x86.so" or something?

Thanks