Re: [Gems-users] Changing the Memory Hierarchy

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:45:14 -0500
From: Clay Hughes <thethem@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Changing the Memory Hierarchy
Thanks a lot Mike.
^-^

~Clay

Mike Marty wrote:
Hi Clay,

The best approach might be to rename MOESI_CMP_directory-L2cache.sm to
MOESI_CMP_directory-L3cache.sm because it is the heart of this protocol
and contains all the complexity of bridging a inter-CMP and intra-CMP
directory protocol.  Then you can add an L2 cache to the existing
MOESI_CMP_directory-L1cache.sm file so that a single cache controller
controls both the L1 and L2 caches.  This is how all the SMP protocols
work.  For example, MOESI_SMP_directory-cache.sm is the only cache
controller for this protocol, yet contains both L1 and L2 caches.  The
controller internally manages allocation/deallocations between the L1 and
L2 cache memory objects.

This way will require the least amount of protocol changes.  However you
will still have to deal with getting Ruby to understand that there is now
an L3cache.  For example, you need to add configuration parameters and
add mapping functions to route messages to the right controllers.

--Mike

I was hoping that someone could give me pointers on where I should be
looking if I wanted to modify the memory hierarchy for the MOESI_CMP
implementation.  Specifically adding another level of cache and changing
the shared L2 status to private.  I think that I need to add new
definitions for the cache, and modify the CMP directory files.  But I'm
not 100%.

Thanks,
Clay