Re: [Gems-users] Real time based experiments

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:29:57 -0600
From: Alaa Alameldeen <alaa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Real time based experiments
arrvindh shriraman wrote:
Can I perform simulation of programs which terminate based on real-time elapsed. For eg: I have a loop which runs until 2 seconds have elapsed. I am using the
gethrtimer call to determine the cycles elapsed. I have attached only ruby.
Does it make sense to perform experiments this way or based on number of loops/transactions completed.

It is not clear to me what you will be able to measure or use to compare different simulations when you run for a fixed period of time. Ideally you want to use runtime (or an equivalent metric like cycles per transaction) as a comparison metric. How will you compare your runs if you have them execute for the same period of time?

If you are going to use another metric like IPC, you should make sure that simulations you compare have executed the same amount of useful code (i.e., not idle loops etc.).

-Alaa