Re: [Gems-users] CMP configuration in Simics and in Ruby

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:35:33 -0500
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] CMP configuration in Simics and in Ruby
The amount of memory per board in Simics affects what valid physical address ranges are, but *Simics provides no memory timing whatsoever*. Hence, Ruby's timing results are valid regardless of where memory resides on Simics's "boards" in absentia of NUMA-aware memory allocation.

I cannot comment on how to properly set up a bagle machine -- we use sarek locally. I do know that Simics is rather fussy about what constitutes a "valid" configuration.

Regards,
Dan

Lei Yang wrote:
Dear list,
I was trying to set up a CMP system with 4 processors. I first created a checkpoint with bagle using bagle-4p.simics. Then looking at that file, I found their set up a bit weird: # set up 4 processors with 256MB
@boards = [[0, 2, 256], [2, 2, 0]]
# the rest is common for all bagle machines
run-command-file "bagle-common.simics"
It seems that the 4 cores are on two boards and 256MB memory is created only on the first board. In my ruby configuration, I set the number of processors to 4, and number of processor on each chip to 1. The memory size is 4GB. I'm wondering, does the different Simics set up affect Ruby result? Or is it true that as along as the number of processors is set correctly, the rest of memory system does not matter because Ruby just receives instructions from the processors? I'd appreciate it if you could provide a Simics set up example if the above isn't correct. Thanks in advance! Lei