Re: [Gems-users] How can I run multi-programmed benchmarks?

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:31:46 -0600
From: "Derek Hower" <drh5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] How can I run multi-programmed benchmarks?
Use the naked-check-create script in the GEMS 2.0 release to create a system checkpoint running Solaris.  You can then get a multiprogrammed checkpoint by starting background jobs in the Simics guest prompt (i.e. "./run_program & ").  See the .simics files in the microbenchmarks/transactional/ directory for examples of how to manipulate the naked checkpoint to automatically insert commands in the guest prompt.  You will also want to to insert a magic breakpoint into your workloads that will start ruby at the appropriate time, as doing so before the programs start would take a prohibitively long time. Ideally you will only want the program you start last to call the magic breakpoint.  Again, see the code samples in microbenchmarks/transactional to see how this is done.

You can use the Solaris function processor_bind to place threads on a specific processor. (though beware that this is really only a hint to the kernel and does not guarantee a binding)

-Derek