Re: [Gems-users] CMP configuration on GEMS

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:59:39 -0600
From: Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] CMP configuration on GEMS
You've identified big CMP design issues that don't have clear answers. I'm not sure what kind of help you want. GEMS is an ideal platform for studying these issues. You need to first come up with your conceptual target system. Then you will either need to configure GEMS to match this, or add new functionality to GEMS.

GEMS currently supports 2 classes of systems. "SMPs" with private caches. However make the interconnect latencies small, and you can think of this as a CMP with private caches rather than an SMP. The "CMP" protocols all have a shared L2 cache and support Multiple-CMP systems. In included a new "SCMP" protocol in release 1.4 for simulating a single-CMP, but allows flexible modifications for how this is shared or private (shared by default). We also have a D-NUCA implementation for a Single-CMP, but you shouldn't start with this. The naming conventions are lousy, but I didn't know better several years ago.

--mike

Niket Agarwal wrote:
Hi all,
I want to configure a CMP environment with many cores (32+) having private L1 caches and a shared L2 cache which is distributed with the cores.

As I have gathered, the distributed bank concept does not scale. Also, having a unified shared L2 cache would not scale.

It would be great if someone could help me with some pointers.

Cheers,
Niket.