[Gems-users] unexpected results

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:31:23 -0800 (PST)
From: "Dave Z." <zhu_dave@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] unexpected results
Hello,

I'm simulating a simple memory benchmark with 2 processors (L1 cache: 64K, L2 cache: 128K). The memory latency (DIRECTORY_LATENCY) is 120. In my benchmark, a data size of 512K is read in every iteration. So, I'd assume ruby cycles should be at least data_size/cache_line_size * DIRECTORY_LATENCY * iterations. For example, it should be at least 98,304,000 cycles for 512K, 64B cache line size and 100 iterations. But the cycles I get is much smaller. Is there any optimization used by Ruby that might cause this?

I've modified Ruby profiler to show cache events for each processor. The number of Other_GETS events on processor1 is larger than the number of loads on processor2, and vice versa. Is this not unusual? Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks!

Dave

It's here! Your new message!