Re: [Gems-users] adding L3 cache

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:22:29 -0200
From: Filipe <scoton@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] adding L3 cache
Mike,

I'll take a look at the -dir.sm and when you release your new directory protocol I'll take a look at it either.

Thank you very much for your answer.

On 1/19/07, Mike Marty <mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, the idea is to add a -L3cache.sm.  This is not trivial, especially
for MOESI_CMP_directory, because you are complicating the coherence
protocol by adding another level of cache hierarchy (unless it is
interleaved with the memory controllers..see below).

If you are only interested in simulating a _single_ CMP, I plan on
releasing an easier directory protocol in the next few weeks.  That would
be more amenable to adding more cache levels because it would be a 1-level
directory protocol instead of a 2-level directory.

If you want an L3 cache that is interleaved the same way as the memory
controllers and is logically right next to it on your target CMP, you can
easily hack an L3 cache into any of the - dir.sm files.  This is the
easiest approach, but may not fit what your target CMP looks like.

--Mike