Re: [Gems-users] question on time in eventqueue

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:49:28 -0600
From: lya755@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] question on time in eventqueue
Thanks Mike! I checked the Profiler.C code and found
that "instruction_executed" is obtained by the following:

 for(int i=0; i < RubyConfig::numberOfProcessors(); i++) {
    perProcInstructionCount[i] = g_system_ptr->getDriver()->getInstructionCount
(i) - m_instructions_executed_at_start[i] + 1;
    // The +1 allows us to avoid division by zero
  }

I then looked into getInstructionCount, which is defined in Driver.h as:

virtual integer_t getInstructionCount(int procID) const { return 1; }

That being said, the instruction count for each processor is always 1. I used
the Ruby Tester and verified MSI_MOSI_CMP_directory protocol; I found that
indeed instruction_executed is always 1 for each processor. The following is
the result from running a 4 processor simulation.

instruction_executed: 4 [ 1 1 1 1 ]
cycles_per_instruction: 31300 [ 31300 31300 31300 31300 ]
misses_per_thousand_instructions: 40000 [ 38000 40000 40000 42000 ]

I'm wondering if this is a bug in Ruby Tester or did I miss something? I do
need to know the exact number of instructions executed on each processor from
Ruby when I use the Ruby Tester. If "getInstructionCount" is not functioning
correctly, how should I fix it? Please advice!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lei