[Gems-users] Message size and network latency

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:19:51 +0100
From: Alberto Ros Bardisa <a.ros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Message size and network latency
Dear list,

I have noticed that changing the message size of some messages does
not affect the network latency for that message.

For example in the MOESI_CMP_directory coherence protocol, I have
changed the message size from "MessageSizeType:ResponseLocal_Data" to
"MessageSizeType:Response_Control", and I have measured the latency of
the message before and after the change, finding the same result (8
cycles).

How does the MessageSize field affect the behaviour of the network?
What other parameters affects network latency?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto Ros.