Re: [Gems-users] Regarding out of order stores in Opal

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:42:24 -0400
From: Milo Martin <milom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Regarding out of order stores in Opal
One of the main advantages of out-of-order execution is to hide memory latency by prefetching data into the caches. Yes, sometimes this pollutes the cache, but as branch prediction is usually correct, this generally results in a performance improvement.

In many processors, TLB misses are not handled speculatively. One result of this is that some wild prefetches (those without TLB mappings) are filtered polluting the cache (because they fail translation).

- Milo