Re: [Gems-users] IPC and Ruby cycles

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:42:28 -0600
From: Dan Gibson <degibson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] IPC and Ruby cycles
If you're using Opal, then Opal will calculate its IPC for you.
If you're not using Opal, then the IPC is a meaningless measure, since Simics is an extremely idealized in-order processor model.

If IPC is a metric that you absolutely MUST know, change SIMICS_RUBY_MULTIPLIER to 1 and double all your ruby latencies (to achieve an approximately identical timing). Then use RUBY_CYCLES to calculate IPC.

Regards,
Dan

Lei Yang wrote:
Dear list,

I noticed that with SIMICS_RUBY_MULTIPLIER set to 2, the Ruby_cycles shown in Ruby stats is always half of the cycle count shown by simics. When calculating the IPC, which cycle count should I use, Ruby_cycles or the cycle count of Simics? I'm quite curious why there is a SIMICS_RUBY_MULTIPLIER parameter and what's its purpose. As always, thanks a lot for your comments!

Lei