Re: [Gems-users] convert MOSI_SMP_bcast to MOSI_CMP_bcast

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:06:06 -0400
From: "avadh patel" <apatel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] convert MOSI_SMP_bcast to MOSI_CMP_bcast
Hi,

I have one silly question. As I have been trying to learn slicc and try to wirte a code for MOSI_CMP_bcast based on MOSI_SMP_bcast, I found out that to change the no of DirectoryController it should be changed in RubyConfig not in slicc.

So after setting the values of various configuration parameters to set no of DirectoryController to 1 are there any changes needed in MOSI_SMP_bcast to make it MOSI_CMP_bcast?
I need the same structure in MOSI_CMP_bcast as in MOSI_SMP_bcast.

Thanks in advance.

- Avadh

On 3/13/07, Mike Marty < mikem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would like to use the bus based snooping protocol for my project in CMP
> system.
> I saw the list of protocols supported by the GEMS doesn't contain any bus
> based snooping protocol for CMP systems.
>
> I would like to change the current MOSI_SMP_bcast to MOSI_CMP_bcast
> protocol, but as I dont know the SLICC in detail and how should I change the
> network configuration used.
> So I am requesting to this group to help me out to create this new protocol.
> I have following questions:
>
> 1) Can I simply change the network topology in MOSI_SMP_bcast protocol to
> look like MOSI_CMP_bcast?

Yes, if you are ok with private L1/L2 caches in the same controller.

MOSI_SMP_bcast also creates a DirectoryController for every processor.
You will want to change this.

> 2) Why is directory used in MOSI_SMP_bcast? as it is a bus based snooping
> protocol, it shouldn't require any directory.

Ruby does *not* implement shared lines.  Thus a "directory" holds an owner
bit to determine if memory shoudl respond with data.

Ruby doesn't have a true bus interconnect.  It uses an ordered
hierarchical switch.

--Mike