Re: [Gems-users] Cache Miss Rate

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 11:12:24 -0400
From: "Carole-Jean Wu" <carolewu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Cache Miss Rate
Hello Greg,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. One last question is .. then .. L1 hit  = Data Request - L1 Misses - Fast Path Hit Return, right?

-Carole

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Instruction references are likely zero because you have
"instruction-fetch-mode" set to "no-instruction-fetch".  This is a
time-saving mechanism for simulations -- Simics simply fetches
instruction directly from memory without sending those references to the
timing model (Ruby).

I believe the "requests missed" refers to fast path misses.  If you have
fast path enabled, then the sequencer will look for an L1-cached block
containing the requested address.  If it's in the L1 cache and the state
is compatible, then the sequence will immediately return the value as a
hit, without sending a CacheMsg to the L1Cache component.  If it can't
find the block, or if it is in the wrong state, then it's considered a
"fast path miss" and is send to the L1Cache.  You should refer to the
cache statistics to get an accurate count of misses, but if the fast
path is enabled, then the fast path hits should be added to the hits
that are reported by the L1Cache statistics.

I'm not sure if "data requests" includes the other categories in the
list (e.g., are prefetches included in that number?  atomic load
accesses?)  Someone else will have to answer that, or you can probably
figure it out by looking at the Sequencer code.

...Greg