Re: [Gems-users] SIMICS SEG FAULT on transaction retry [ruby]

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:03:20 -0500
From: Jayaram Bobba <bobba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] SIMICS SEG FAULT on transaction retry [ruby]

mgill404@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I am currently running the STAMP 0.9.9 benchmarks on the newest version of gems [2.1] and the newest version of simics [3.x]. The benchmarks run fine unless there is a need for a transaction to retry, in which event it halts with a "SIMICS SEG FAULT" message. My benchmarks run to completion in the event that there just happens to be no collision. I suspect it is a coincidence, but this problem has so far always occurred on processor 0 [pset 1].

The setup I am using consists of running a benchmark up to immediately before it would begin transactions, and saving the configuration there. I then restart simics and load the configuration, and load ruby at that point. Because STAMP requires a x^2 number of running threads, and ruby requires x^2 processors, I have attempted to run the majority of these tests with 1 thread per processor, thus resulting in the last thread being unbound [due to inability to assign a processor set to all processors]. I have also attempted to run such benchmarks on a simulated machine using only half the processors available, binding every running thread, and experienced the same problems.

Any advice to help me resolve this situation would be greatly appreciated. This is becoming quite frustrating. Any ideas would be welcome.
Can you generate more debugging output by setting XACT_DEBUG to true
and XACT_DEBUG_LEVEL to 2 or higher. I would be interested in looking at
the output just before the retry.
Also, I have already adjusted the offset in 'set transaction registers' to point to [what I believe to be] the correct position to handle a retry [+36]. As a side question, would having this offset set incorrectly result in the error that I am seeing?

Possible, but incorrect offset mostly shows up as a segmentation fault
in the program being run on the simulated machine and not as a SIMICS
SEG FAULT.

Jayaram