[Gems-users] Redundant states in MOESI_SMP_directory cache implementation

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:27:17 +0200
From: Morten Sleth Rasmussen <msr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Redundant states in MOESI_SMP_directory cache implementation
Hi,

I have been studying the MOESI protocol implementation for MOESI_SMP_directory. It seems to me, that the "M" and "E" states in the cache part of the implementation have exactly the same outgoing transitions. They are even combined in the code. Furthermore, both states can only be reached by a transition from state "IS", by to different events "Exclusive_Data_Clean" and "Exclusive_Data_Dirty". But both transitions causes the exact same actions.

I wonder why the implementation has both states, when it seems like they could be merged into one. Am I missing something?

Best regards
Morten Rasmussen