[Gems-users] Sampling support

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:17:38 -0500
From: "Christian Bienia" <cbienia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Sampling support
Hi,

To what extent does Gems support sampling? Is there a way to switch gems
between detailed and fast-forward simulation? I would like to simulate parts
of each kernel of a larger benchmark program and skip everything else.

Here is the simulation methodology that I have in mind:

1. Make a dry-run of whole benchmark without Gems to warm up OS file caches.
2. Load Ruby and Opal (in fast-forward mode, if supported), execute
beginning of benchmark to warm up cache and branch predictor tables.
3. Resume execution but only small chunks of each kernel: Switch between
fast-forward mode and detailed execution using magic instructions and
instruction count.

Is that possible with Gems? If not what's the closest approximation to that?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

- Chris