Re: [Gems-users] which protocol can I use?

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:47 +0000
From: Huan Fang <huanf@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] which protocol can I use?
For SCMP protocol, is it possible to distribute memory among all cores. I mean the num_of_memories is the same as num_of_processors. or can I realize interleaved memory based on this protocol? Thank you.

Huan
 Thanks for your explanations.  I have noticed there is a
 MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory protocol. If the directory in L2 only maintains
 L1 tags  then I think it's not what we need. There is no off-chip
 coherence requirement for SCMP so there is no need for a directory in
 memory, am I right?

Excellent point.

 As for our system, I think it's more like the SMP protocol in GEMS,
 though it's a cc-NUMA architecture. Is there any changes we should make
 if we use MOESI_SMP_directory protocol?  When you said "L2 caches must
 be private and exclusive with the L1s", I don't fully understand why it
 must be exclusive?

The SMP L1/L2s must be exclusive to relieve the cache controller of
managing the tag for a block in more than one cache.

The SMP protocols will, be default, assume the number of
directory/memory controllers is equal to the number of processors.
You can hack around this by modifying RubyConfig.C (I think).

--Mike

 Regards,
 Huan

By default, the *CMP* protocols treat the caches on a single "chip" as