[Gems-users] Question on MOESI_CMP_token

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:38:10 +0800
From: "KS Chow" <g0706256@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Question on MOESI_CMP_token

Hi guys, I have a question on L2 caches on MOESI_CMP_token.

I assumed that under this protocol the L2 would be shared among processors in the same socket/chip – but when I took a look at the ruby dump file for a 2 processor 1 socket system (a dual-core):

L2Cache_L2cacheMemory numberPerChip: 2

cache_size_Mbytes: 8

Compared to a 1P-1S system

L2Cache_L2cacheMemory numberPerChip: 1

cache_size_Mbytes: 16

Seems like I have 2 separate L2’s for my dual core. I have specified g_NUM_PROCESSORS as 2 and g_PROCS_PER_CHIP as 2 for the dual-core system, other settings on default.

The same goes for quad-cores – seems like my L2 is split and each gets 16MB/4.

Am I setting my system right or am I just misinterpreting the dump file?

Thanks/Regards.

Chow Kian Sim

National University of Singapore