Re: [Gems-users] Opal simulation question

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:00:57 -0500
From: Philip Garcia <pcgarcia@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Opal simulation question
I don't think GEMS 2.0 directly supports doing simulations for a set number of cycles (although I could be wrong). I just modified opal to count cycles instead of instructions committed on CPU #0. This can be done by changing a single line in opal/system/system.C.

In the simulate() method change the while (m_sim_status==SIMSTATUS_OK && instrCount>=m_seq[0]->m_stat_committed[0]) loop to be just: while (m_sim_status==SIMSTATUS_OK && instrCount>=m_global_cycles)

This will just use the instrCount variable to be compared to global cycles. Personally I prefer using this metric, as the number of instructions executed on CPU #0 is kind of an arbitrary length of time (particularly when comparing different benchmarks), whereas a set number of cycles has at least a baseline involved. It's difficult to say though which one is definitively a "better" measurement, I'm sure some people here have a better background in this to make a claim. Personally, I prefer the set # of cycles measurement, and especially can't really make sense of what a set number of instructions executed on cpu #0 means when running multiprocessor workloads.

Of course, when giving number of cache misses, and some of those statistics it might make more sense to first normalize them, because giving the number of cache misses for 2 different setups that compute a different amount of work isn't very meaningful. I think a standard metric there is miss rate (percent of load/store instructions that cause a cache miss) or use something like misses per thousand instructions.

Phil