[Gems-users] Does ruby leak memory?

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:22:01 +0100
From: Javi Merino <jmerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Does ruby leak memory?
Hi, when we run long simulations using GEMS+Simics, we get a very big
memory footprint. The attached file shows the total memory used by GEMS
+Simics during the simulation of one iteration of IS.B. We used GEMS 2.1
with MOESI_CMP_token and the default configuration. The only parameter
we modified is the number of processors (8). It is ruby+opal, but when
we simulate without ruby, the memory used is more or less constant.

If we simulate two or three iterations of this application, the memory
used keeps increasing, even though the working set of the simulated
application is the same across iterations.

The memory controller also uses a lot of memory, but it allocates it at
the beginning of the simulation.

Do you have any idea on where is the memory leak? It would be great if
we could keep the memory used under control and all GEMS users could
benefit from that. Regards,
Javier Merino