[Gems-users] Cache miss of supervisor mode

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:35:06 +0900
From: 안정섭 <jeong.seob.ahn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Cache miss of supervisor mode
Hi all.

I have been running some bench marks like splash-2, specjbb, parsec, etc.
My problem is that cache misses of supervisor mode is higher than that of user mode.

How can i resolve it?
Cache misses(L1 and L2) of supervisor mode is over 90%.

Mmy configuration is followings:

-16 core
- 32kb L1 256kb L2(both are private)
- MOESI_SMP_directory
- simple network (PT to PT)

I attached one ruby dump file. u can see strange statistics at this file.
Is this proportion(user vs supervisor) right? it seems unreasonable.
As i know, some people have same problem but there is no answer.

And another question, I use MOESI_SMP_protocol in order to mimics CMP_directory with L2 private cache. But i wonder where the storage where directory structure(like sharer) is stored is. As i know in SMP, directory is stored in memory. if so, a L2 cache miss makes off-chip traffic. right?

But if in CMP, directory is stored in directory cache, L2 cache misses in CMP is on-chip traffic.
How is this difference removed?

I hope u can fully understand my question. I'm worry because of my poor english.
Thank u.