[Gems-users] Opal load-compile

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 01:04:08 +0300
From: Christoforos Christoforou <christoforos13@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Opal load-compile
Hello all,
First of all thanks for the good job on the mailing list, it has been very helpful so far.

I am using Simics 3.0.31 along with GEMS 2.1 on x86-linux machine, with gcc 4.3.3 compiler.
I have successfully loaded solaris 9 on abisko machine and i have made checkpoints in order to load ruby and opal.
While ruby loads successfully, opal loading gives the following error:
"undefined symbol: _ZN22generic_cache_templateI21generic_cache_block_tE18registerCheckpointEP8confio_t"
As i have read, this requires the moving of three functions (Warmup, OracleAccess and RegisterCheckpoint as well as #confio.h)
While i have done this,when recompiling opal i get an error as follows:

system/cache.h:196: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct generic_cache_template<BlockType>’
common/hfa.h:133: error: declaration of ‘struct generic_cache_template<BlockType>’
system/cache.h:218: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct generic_cache_template<BlockType>’
common/hfa.h:133: error: declaration of ‘struct generic_cache_template<BlockType>’
make[1]: *** [x86-linux/obj/symtrace.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/christoforos/Desktop/gems/gems-2.1/opal'
make: *** [module] Error 2

-> where line 196 is where the addition of the Warmup function is, and where line 218 is where the addition of OracleAccess is.

I have seen that after moving the function TagSearch to the .h file, the error for the first two inclusions is elliminated, but i get the same error for the TagSearch function
After consulting a more experienced c++ programmer as i am rather new to c++, and havent been around templates yet, i was told that i could freely move all template declarations to the .h file, but that also failed
Any advice or workaround tips would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance,
--Chris