Re: [Gems-users] Transactional mem stats query

Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:08:17 -0500
From: Polina Dudnik <pdudnik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gems-users] Transactional mem stats query
Please check your configuration and make sure the flags enabling transactional execution are on.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:01 PM, <holey003@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to run transactional memory benchmark 'conswtch' provided in
gems2.1. I can see the code running transaction generating statements. But
in the final stats it shows everything as 0.

transactions_started: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
transactions_ended: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
instructions_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
cycles_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]
misses_per_transaction: 0 [ 0 0 0 0 ]

Then I tried to find out in the reverse direction i.e. how these counters
are getting updated. e.g. transactions_started variable is updated through
function 'magic_instruction_callback' which is defined in
/gems2.1/ruby/simics/commands.C. But I found that during the run period,
this function is never executed. At the same time I am seeing macros like
                       BEGIN_WORKLOAD_TRANSACTION
                       BEGIN_CLOSED_TRANSACTION(0)
being called during benchmark run. What could go wrong in the setup which
is not able to create actual transaction?

Thanks,
Anup