[Gems-users] Meaning of the 'Directory' in memory system

Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:00:35 +0900
From: "Woomin Hwang" <wmhwang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Meaning of the 'Directory' in memory system

Hello, everyone.

I’m working with ruby to instantiate additional memory module with different access timing.

Currently I’m analyzing structure of memory system. But I’m very confused.

What I understand is that: physically, a DIMM can have several chips, and a chip can have several banks (BANKS_PER_RANK).

A chip can includes cache controllers, cache objects, DirectoryMemory objects, etc.

It’s hard for me to map each objects to the physical structure.

Please explain about the mapping of objects and physical components, and additionally :

1.     Does a ‘chip’ includes a processor, L1 & L2 caches, and memory DIMMs? Or is it just a single component such as single memory chip?

2.     What is the exact meaning of the ‘Directory’ in the memory system? Does it represent a memory bank or whole banks in a chip?

3.     What is the meaning of the param g_NUM_MEMORIES? I guess the parameter represents the number of ‘Directory’ in the memory system, but don’t know exactly.

Please help me.

Thank you

Regards,

Woomin Hwang