[Gems-users] Lack of forward progress detected

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:48:55 -0500
From: Ying Zhang <yzhan29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Lack of forward progress detected
Hi,

    I am a newbie to GEMS and SIMICS. After I made some small modifications to opal and run the simulator again, it stops with the following message:

*** Lack of forward progress detected ***
    Cycle = 4194520
     Fwd Progress Cycle = 4194519
     Last retired cycle = 216
*** Lack of forward progress detected ***

I found the corresponding code is in pseq_t::retireinstruction, but I have no idea why this happened. Specifically, what does this error imply? What does the variable "m_fwd_progress_cycle" refer to?

There were two posts about similar issue on the list, but I didn't find useful clue there. How can I get this fixed?

Thanks,
Ying