[Gems-users] Zero L2 cache stats

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:31:38 -0400
From: "Binh Q. Pham" <phambinh1983@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] Zero L2 cache stats
Hi,
I am using MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory protocol in my project, and after running a simulation, L2 cache doesn't have any misses:
L2_cache cache stats:
  L2_cache_total_misses: 0
  L2_cache_total_demand_misses: 0
  L2_cache_total_prefetches: 0
  L2_cache_total_sw_prefetches: 0
  L2_cache_total_hw_prefetches: 0
  L2_cache_misses_per_transaction: 0
  L2_cache_misses_per_instruction: 0
  L2_cache_instructions_per_misses: NaN

L2_cache_request_size: [binsize: log2 max: 0 count: 0 average: NaN |standard d
eviation: NaN | 0 ]
Tracing back, I see this is because the function addSecondaryStatSample is called in profile_L2Cache_miss; but this profile_L2Cache_miss is commented out in MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-L2cache.sm.
Next, if I remove the comment, I got the following error during compile:

Parsing...
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_Exports.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_Types.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_Util.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_ComponentMapping.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_Profiler.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_Defines.sm
  ../protocols/RubySlicc_MemControl.sm
  ../protocols/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-msg.sm
  ../protocols/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-L2cache.sm
  ../protocols/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-L1cache.sm
  ../protocols/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-mem.sm
  ../protocols/standard_CMP-protocol.sm
Generator pass 1...
Generator pass 2...

../protocols/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory-L2cache.sm:686: Error: Unrecognized function name: 'convertToGenericType'
make[1]: *** [generated/MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory/generated] Error 1

For some reason, the function convertToGenericType is auto-generated in some other protocol, e.g. MOSI_SMP_bcast; but not for MESI_SCMP_bankdirectory.

1. I would like to know why this is the case?
2. Also why is profile_L2Cache_miss commented out in the sm file? If this indeed should be left out, what should I do to get the L2 cache stats?

Thank you for your time and help,
Binh