[Gems-users] PARSEC indeterminism and Prefetching

Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 19:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Muhammad abid Mughal <mabidm_pieas@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] PARSEC indeterminism and Prefetching
hi guys,
           Hope you all doing good.I am working on data prefetching of  PARSEC applications.I calculated the opportunity i.e. Max. number of misses that can be removed from base system , for PARSEC  on my base system.Then i ran some experiments using enhanced system i.e. system having prefetcher
 and found that number of misses removed were greater than Opportunity which is not possible.This is all happening because of indeterminism in PARSEC applications.I see that base system and enhanced one have different instruction counts.Running the same simulation multiple times(and getting average) with enhanced system is not feasible .Even then the average of misses(removed in enhanced system)  across multiple simulations of enhanced would not be less than Opportunity calculated using Base system(This is my guess because Opportunity is 65% whereas enhanced system tells 84% removed misses .)

Hope to see response from someone.
Thanks

Regards,
Muhammad abid