[Gems-users] About the ordered virtual network used in the some cache coherence protocols

Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:57:41 -0400
From: sheng ma <mashnudt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Gems-users] About the ordered virtual network used in the some cache coherence protocols
Hi All, I am Sheng. I don't have much knowledge about the cache coherence protocols. And I noticed that for some cache coherence protocols, such as the MSI_MOSI_CMP_directory one, it needs 5 VNs, and only VN2 is ordered (in the slicc file for this protocol,  ordered="true" for VN2). And for other protocols, such as MOESI_CMP_directory and MESI_CMP_directory, all 4 VNs utilized by them are unordered.
Thus, I have two problems.
1. How many VNs are needed for each protocol? How to decide it? Is anyone know some papers or books have such content, please tell me. Thank you!
2. Which VNs should be ordered and which VNs should be unordered? Is there any helpful material? Thank you!

Thank you very much in advance!

Bests,
Sheng